Another Way to Read Books for Free on Your Computer, Tablet, and More!
You will need:
- Your library card number
- Your Adobe ID (free at adobe.com)
- Computer or mobile device with internet access
To read on your computer:
1. In your internet browser, go to http://berlinpeck.freading.com/index
2. Download Adobe Digital Editions software.
3. Activate the software with your Adobe ID.
4. Log in to the website with your library card.
5. Search, browse, and borrow.
6. When you click “Download” beside a book you like, your tokens will be spent and the book will be ready to download and open in Adobe Digital Editions.
To read on your mobile device*:
1. Download the Freading app. (It comes with a user guide installed and ready to read.)
2. Activate the app with your Adobe ID.
3. Click on “Store” to search, browse, and borrow.
4. When you click “Download” beside a book you like, your tokens will be spent; the book will download to your Library in your Freading app and be ready to read instantly.
* Nook devices, Sony Readers, and Kobo Readers do not allow for direct downloading through an app. You must use Adobe Digital Editions to download your book to your computer and then transfer it to your device.
Notes on Freading:
- Freading is not compatible with Kindle eReaders. It is compatible with the Kindle Fire, with the Freading app (free at SlideMe.org).
- Freading is completely separate from OverDrive.
- You can find titles in ePub and PDF formats.
- Freading lets you check out books with “tokens.”
- You receive 5 tokens per week.
- Different books cost different amounts of tokens.
- Unused tokens roll over to the following week.
- Every 4 weeks, unused tokens expire.
- Books are loaned for 2 weeks at a time, and can be renewed once.
- There are no overdue fines or need to return books—they delete themselves when loans expire.
- You can search, browse, make a wishlist, place holds, download, and renew.
- The site and app are both user-friendly and offer guides.
- For more FAQs, go to